ACCESS BANK ADVERT

ACCESS BANK ADVERT

Thursday 1 January 2015

INTERVIEW: ADEBAYO SALAMI TALKS ABOUT HIS FAMLY AND CAREER AS HE CELEBRATES 50YEARS ON STAGE



In a recent interview, nollywood veteran actor Adebayo Salami, popularly known as Oga Bello spoke extensively about his life, career and family at his 50years on stage anniversary.

You marked your 50 years on stage as an actor recently, how would you describe the journey and how have you survived over the years?
I am a strong believer in the will of Allah. I strongly believe that nothing comes to you without the knowledge of God. Talking about survival over the years, I will say it has been the grace of God and His mercy. In life, you can’t avoid challenges; they are part of your existence as a man born of a woman. One thing that you have to be careful about is how to handle the situation when challenges come up from any angle of life.

It is normal for one to go through difficult moments in life, some of the problems we go through end up making us a stronger person, if you look back into those years, has there even been an event or occurrence you wished had never happened to you?
Yes, there was a particular one that forced me out of theatre. It was a very tough moment in my life and I said to myself that I wasn’t interested in this job again. The event happened
in 1985 when Mama Mero died. We lost her exactly seven years after the death of her husband, Ojo Adejobi, my boss. A lot of issues started coming up after the demise of Mama Mero; a lot of speculations came up as people were alleging that I killed the husband and later I decided to kill the wife. The problem was so much that I could not stand it anymore, so I decided to quit the stage immediately after the burial. It was after I had left that he sent for me when he heard that I had left the stage and said is it true that you want to quit acting? I told yes, that I had made up my mind not to be part of it again. I won’t forget the particular Yoruba word he used “Alakori” meaning a flippant or unserious person. He told me that If I wanted to grow in life, especially on this job, I must never run away from challenges; the more problems I faced, the bigger I would become on the job. So, after that conversation with him, I changed my decision and returned to stage.

Why would people say you had a hand in the death of your boss and his wife, what kind of relationship did you have with the family?
You know our people are very funny; they like to dwell on Mr A says that to Mr B when they have not even heard from the person involved.
I learnt that Baba Mero and his wife were the owners of the theatre group that later became yours, is that why people alleged that you killed them so that you could take over the group?
Yes, people said I killed them because I wanted to inherit their property. I asked them where were the property? None of them could come out to point at one because there was no property in the first place. I know how much debt I paid back after his death. What I had in mind then was all about my passion for what I do; I also planned to immortalise Ojo Ladipo but the rumour about his death devastated me so much.   It was not as if Baba Mero had eighty bags of cement which I inherited when he died. Baba Mero died with his talent. All I wanted to do was to promote his name even after death and while I am doing that, I am also helping my career on the other hand. I thank God for my life today



So, how did you manage to get over that period?
I just had to keep doing what I know how to do. People kept talking but I didn’t allow their talks to get to me. You know one thing that matters in life is your upbringing. If you had been brought up the way I was raised, you would know how to remain focused and don’t give much attention to what people say.

How were you raised?
I was raised in a Muslim home and we were taught three things: One, to love, to be contented and to be very hard working. You must also strive to endure any difficult situation, embrace people and above all, love God. These are the things I have applied to my life and have worked immensely for me in life. There is something in the Quran which says you have to seek knowledge, which I did. If I want to do something, my style is to do a thorough research about it before I take a final decision on it. Another major point is that you have to be honest in whatever you do and don’t look down on anybody; no matter how small the person could be.

With fifty years on the job and seeing your children taking after you, how do you feel about this?
The truth is that I have never prayed that any of my children should take after me. My only responsibility to them as a father is to make sure they are all educated. And, I thank God that I have been able to achieve that with the help of Allah. My prayer is that they should be successful in life but not as actors. I am glad that they all give me so much joy today.

If you have the opportunity to change anything in your life today, what would that be?
I think it is even too late to change anything about my life. So, don’t let us talk about it. I am over sixty years old, what do I want to change in my life at this stage? I can only ask God to help me manage what I have; the good and bad sides of it. God designed my life the way it is and I can’t complain about it. He has given me everything that will make my life easy for me.

You have a big family, how do you manage to keep everybody under same roof?
It is God’s doing. I don’t know how to explain it to you other than to say I am grateful to Allah.

Is it true that you are planning to have another wife?
Where is that coming from? What do I need another wife for? I am over sixty years old, I have wives at home and I am yet to get tired of them. I am not having another wife; I am not even thinking about it. I will be wicked if I ask God for another wife.

Are you tired of women?
I am not saying I am tired. I am only saying that I don’t want another wife. I don’t want anything else in life or on this job other than long life and to remain relevant on my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment