ACCESS BANK ADVERT

ACCESS BANK ADVERT

Monday 15 September 2014

He’s Fighting Me Because I Converted To Christianity, - Wife

Mrs Idayat Tiamiyu has pleaded with the Owode/Academy Grade ‘C’ Customary Court sitting at Owode, in Ibadan South-East Local Government Area of Oyo State, not to dissolve the marriage between her and her husband, Sikiru Tiamiyu.

She said instead of dissolving the marriage, the court should help in solidifying it.

Reacting to the claims of her husband (the plaintiff), Idayat, who lives at Amuloko area of Ibadan, said: “I can’t leave the plaintiff. He is my husband till death do us part. He is the father of my three children.”

She further explained that in 2012, when she was hit by a strange ailment, she was taken to a church after she had been to several places, including hospital.

The defendant added that while in the church, she made a covenant that if she fully recovered, she would join the church as a member.

Idayat said: “Before I got to the church, my husband and the entire family had spent a lot of money without any positive result. But in the church, they asked me to make a covenant that if I get well fully, I will become a member, which I agreed and that was exactly what I did.

“I am a Muslim by birth and marriage, but due to my ill-health and the covenant I made in the course of my travail, I became a servant of God. And I have been attending the church since then until recently when my husband ordered that I should stop going there.

“My lord, help me appeal to him. I can’t do without the church.”

Earlier, Sikiru had instituted a divorce suit against his wife, claiming that she was too stubborn and doesn’t listen to his advice.

Sikiru, who lives at Amuloko, Ibadan, also told the court that his wife had abandoned her duties at home, saying: “As a wife, she doesn’t cook for me again. She has abandoned all her duties. She goes out at will. At times, she goes in the morning and comes back later in the day.

“I can’t tolerate her attitude any longer. She changed from Islam to Christianity, which, to me, is an abomination and I have warned her to stop attending church programmes including vigils, but she has refused to listen.

“In fact, I’m more or less alone in the house. I cook my food, wash my clothes and do everything that is supposed to be done by her.

“My lord, I want the marriage to be dissolved without delay because she cannot stop going to church.”

Having listened to both parties, the court President, Mr Owolabi Oluokun, ordered that the couple’s families should go back home and resolve the matter amicably.

Mr Oluokun adjourned the case till September 22.

No comments:

Post a Comment